Monday, August 13, 2018

A new book

One day of the summer, I was strolling around Helsinki waiting for my train to arrive. I knew the trip would be several hours long, so I decided to go the largest bookstore and pick out a book. Prior to entering the bookstore, I had not been shopping for leisure books for a long time, as school work had been time consuming the last months before summer. The bookstore had several levels, and looked like a department store for books. It was a great feeling, being able to take my time and having several floors of books to choose from. It was a hard choice, and I was walking around the store with several books in my hand until I decided on what I would read. Bookstores have a specific vibe which personally bring calmness and the wanting to buy several reads. My personal favorite genre is non-fiction, with no specific category. I love reading narratives about ranges of science, business, philosophy, etc. Through books like these, I learn more however not through the academic way I do in school. I chose a great read, “Adventures of a young naturalist” by David Attenborough. The novel itself is broken down into three sections, one from Attenborough’s travels to Guyana, another to Indonesia and the other to Paraguay. The book is written by Attenborough himself, which makes it so interesting as the reader gets a behind-the-scenes of what his quests were actually like. I personally have watched several documentaries of his, which is why I have enjoyed the perspective this novel offers. As well, I have learned about the mentioned wildlife and cultures that he has come across. His narrative voice is as well greatly entertaining. Writing this post before leaving Finland, I hope to buy more books from the specific bookstore before leaving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stream of Consciousness Narration in TTATD

      The Thief and the Dogs , written by Naguib Mahfouz, was seen as a pioneer for Arabic novels. Such was especially due to the author’s...