Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Background Information

Welcome to my first blog post. My name is Laura, and I am currently in the English Language and Literature HL class. As I am a very curious person who likes learning new things and always needs to know the answer to "why?", this has resulted in many personal interests. Some of these interests include health and fitness; which includes my passion for sports such as football, as well as healthy cooking and nutrition. As well, I am passionate about videography and photography, as I try to practice both equally. This passion has grown from my love to travel, as I love capturing great moments. I am interested in fashion, as the whole industry amazes me. When asked what I care about, a lot of things come to mind. I care about understanding the world and space, as this enriches my desire to always need to know why something is happening. I care about my friends and family, which is an obvious statement as these connections are always the most important, personally.

Language plays a very important part in my life, as it is everywhere. Language is a very powerful tool which can spread positive and negative emotions, and can be used to communicate strong messages if used properly. Language use is as well complex, as most of the time the text has deeper value and meaning, which is up to the readers ability to analyze to fully understand the piece. Beneficial communication relies on the individuals language skills, therefore language is arguably one of the most important components of everyday life.

Personally, I believe that it is important to study language as it enriches our vocabulary use, and promotes sufficient communication. Communication skills are another key element of everyday life, therefore the basis of this skill needs to be well nourished. As well, by studying language, it helps us better understand written work, which comes in a plethora of formats (seen everyday). There are so many ways of using the powerful tool of language, therefore it is important that it is practiced.

Although english is not my mother tongue, I feel that it is my stronger language as I have practiced it more. I have felt excluded from language barriers surrounding my mother tongue (Finnish), as I am not as confident with the language. This meaning; some phrases and words are hard to understand. Even in the English language, I have felt excluded at times due to the use of harder to understand vocabulary words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stream of Consciousness Narration in TTATD

      The Thief and the Dogs , written by Naguib Mahfouz, was seen as a pioneer for Arabic novels. Such was especially due to the author’s...